"They actually told her they had proof," said Terry Guy. He was transported by ambulance to Spartanburg Medical Center to be treated for his injuries. Days after the brutal killing, Vick, then 17, threatened . BACK IN 1993, THOMAS AND MARY JOHNSON AND EITHR SON VIDDA WHERE KILLED IN THEIR HOME. Could he have committed the crime or hired someone else to carry it out? On July 23, around 9:03 p.m., officers responded to 151 Palisade St.in reference to a drive-by shooting. Neighbors were interviewed. On July 11, officers responded to Concord Avenue and Norris Street in reference to a shooting. Roebuck is a small town and the officer recognized the lifeless victim as Dana Satterfield. Three months after the murders, daughter-in-law Elizabeth Johnson, the surviving son Keith's wife, expressed frustration at extensive questioning of her and her husband. NWS confirms tornado damage in Laurens, Spartanburg, Car buyers frustrated after dealership closes, Murdaugh judges own legal story unfolded in South, Man arrested after 2 found dead inside business, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. And no arrests were made. Those 10 yearsfelt like an eternity to Danas loving daughter, Ashley, who was 8 when her mother was slain. Why her? A year went by, then two. This incident has been ruled as a justifiable homicide. The victim, David Pugach, was shot in the parking lot after a confrontation with a male who was riding a moped. Officers discovered the victim was shot once. "I was one of probably the second or third or maybe fourth to get there. Until then, she said shell be hanging on to memories. Six people were shot and two were killed during the incident and standoff. Dana Satterfield, 27, was known for having awarm smile, being a great mom to her two children, and possessing a special flair for hairstyling. You just learn how to live with it, so this is kind of my way of living with it.. "The Barnes family was seen driving three minutes later to the bank.". The suspect was identified as an occupant of the home and lived with the victim (possibly a roommate). Then on June 3, 2007, someone killed her and set the house on fire to try to cover up the crime. Fisher said recent developments in DNA testing and the use of lasers to lift fingerprints Johnson could help solve old crimes. The violence of the attack made it seem personal, Rick Gregory, a Spartanburg County Solicitors Office investigator,told, During an interview, she nervously explained that she came face to face. The suspect was arrested a few days later based on investigative findings. She had overcome the adversities she had dealt with her whole life, Gary said. The Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer After a certain window, homicides are extremely difficult to solve,Trey Gowdy, Spartanburg County Solicitors Office former prosecutor, explained to producers. Featuring cold cases throughout the state of SC. Theories abound as to who really killed four people that November day. She was also a mother. Chris was the first one shot.". "We know with the time that has passed, many people have heard about this case," a news release from the sheriff's office said. White Sr. Blvd. Brewer (B/M - 17) of 106 Pineneedle Drive, Apt D, died from a gunshot wound. The victim, Ellen Anderson, and her deceased husband, Harlan Anderson, the suspect, were found in the residence. He searches through the notes of other investigators who have worked the cases and he tries to think of other ways to get evidence tested. The Greenville County Sheriff's Office was called inbecause the Spartanburg Police Department, Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office, and the S.C. Law Enforcement Division were all involved in the case. The only surviving son was Keith Johnson, who declined to be interviewed by a reporter the day after the gruesome discovery. "Me and Melissa sat down and talked, and I told her, I said, 'I'm going to ask you a question, I want you to be honest: Did you have anything to do with it? The charges were upgraded later. By 2008, it had fallen to 63 percent of the cases nationwide. After the fire was called in, neighbors gathered outside. "The only reasonable explanation here would be that I got the wrong baby. That would be Abbeville with 179.4 murders per 100,000 people. "[Scott's wife] Melissa was newly pregnant, and after the baby was born they did do a DNA test on a diaper they took from there," said Lorraine. I turned on the news and there was Crystals house burning, she said. Meanwhile, 28 years after the Clifton triple-murder, some people who were initiallyinterviewed by the Herald-Journal have died, and others could not be reached for comment. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, USC defeats Georgia 61-55 to secure first SEC home, Trapped Californians rescued from snow, helped by, NC schools see spike in reported violence numbers, Chase Elliott out of NASCAR indefinitely after tibia, Top seeded USC cruises past Ole Miss 80-51 to reach, Furman uses a 32-6 second half run to defeat Mercer, Hornung hits go-ahead 3-run HR in 7th to lead #23, CCES rolls past Scotts Branch 63-41 to win 1A Boys, The Foreign Landers Perform on Your Carolina, NorthStar Financial Wants you to be Ready for Retirement. Police hurried to the salon, where they found a woman who appeared to have been strangled with a duffel bag strap and was left hanging from a hot water heater. Waiting for your permission to load facebook comments. The evidence in some is better than in others.. All rights reserved. New evidence from a triple homicide in Spartanburg County in 1993 is now being analyzed by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division. Jaromir Chalabala/Shutterstock Steven Fisher, 20, and his girlfriend Melisa Gregory, 17, were bludgeoned to death on a ranch northwest of Newton, Iowa, in 1983. It is believed that the subjects were attempting to rob his neighbor's apartment. 2023, Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of WYFF-TV. But Wright is a person of interest they'll never get the chance to question. Hospital employees informed police that the victim, Patrick Dirk Thomas, was dropped off by an unknown subject in a personally owned vehicle. Pedestrian Killed in Hit and Run Accident. "I said 'We worked hard for that baby, we had to have medical procedures to have this baby, I know he's the father of my baby,'" said Melissa. A decade after the murder, they learned that Vicks DNA matched the rape kit evidence. Criminal justice officials say one reason fewer cases nationwide are being solved is because of an increase in drug-related and gang-related murders. Saturday, February 3, 2007. Her son was only 7 years old when she died. A red vehicle was seen driving away from the bank three minutes later after the incident occurred. Lori Reaves Richardson, Charleston/Columbia, SC vtengr4047/Flickr You can call Investigator Diane Lestage at (864) 503-4556. THE REWARD POSTER WILL START RUNNING TODAY AND WILL CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS. The suspect was arrested and charged with the death of Charles Foster. They say in the 1960s and 1970s about 70 percent of victims and murderers knew each other. On Dec. 6, officers responded to 701 Saxon Ave., the Opportunity Center, in reference to a person being struck in the head with an object. Dana Satterfield was brutally attacked and left hanging from a heater in her salon. Once on scene, officers discovered several people at the location and a male, Daniel Pilgram, lying on the front porch suffering from gunshot wounds. The groups were chasing each other and Hinson got out of his car at the intersection of Asheville Highway and California Avenue to talk to the other group. Isaiah Odom was struck by gunfire on the 1200 block of South 23rd Street on Thursday, February 2, 2023. Open or Unsolved Transgender Homicides; 2023 In addition, Kohlhepp kidnapped at least one woman, raped another, and claims to have killed many more. On July 8, officers responded to 348 Winsmith Ave. in reference to a welfare check. How would they feel? Gary said. Its hard for people to tell on friends and loved ones. (Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office) Anyone . The driver of the motorcycle was killed and a female passenger was severely injured. But what if the victim was their friend or loved one? On August 9, 1976, two unidentified homicide victims, later nicknamed . [1] Early life [ edit] The person left before officials could talk to him, investigators said. Whatever the motive, this horrific case still remains unsolved and police need the public's help bringing the killer to justice. And was someone willing to kill because of it? When human remains are found and the identity of the deceased person is unknown, this unit provides artistic renderings of what the victim/person may have looked like in life. The cards are also available to the public and all Crime Stopper organization in SC. The missing Sodder children (From left): Jennie Irene, Martha Lee, Maurice, Betty Dolly and Louis. "They extensively interviewed Melissa and I know that our daughter-in-law was spoken to at the house," said Lorraine. The SLED Forensic Art Unit assists local law enforcement agencies in Unidentified Remains cases. Related Stories From YourTango: . You just learn how to live with it, so this is kind of my way of living with it., To learn more about the case, watch In Ice Cold Blood, airing. Police then talkedto Danas husband, Mike, who downplayed stories that the couples marriage was in trouble. So was Brian finding comfort in the arms of another woman -- his own boss's wife? before returning with a guilty verdict ofall counts:murder, criminal sexual conduct, and kidnapping. US 221 in the slow lane and was struck by an unknown vehicle pulling out of South Other paranormal phenomena are also regularly reported here. . He was shot. A double homicide and suicide was considered at first, but then ruled out. On July 1, officers responded to 225 Amelia St. Among those shot were two employees with Spartanburg Water, one employee with Spectrum (Perry McIntyre, deceased), a Spartanburg County Sheriffs deputy and the suspect, Shannon Earl Smith, who was killed during the gunfire exchange with law enforcement. And then, a break in the case that absolutely no one saw coming. The witness ran for help and asked people in a nearby house to call 911. Gary said none of Bradshaws customers at work are the focus of the investigation. ", More: Gunshot deaths, reports down in Spartanburg after violent summer; residents push forward. Delta 88. Her contact number is 864-503-4556, and her email address is dlestage@spartanburgcounty.org. Sign up for our e-newsletters or subscribe to get our print publications. The most notorious unsolved murder in our state's fraught history went down in Darlington County in the 4th Judicial District of South Carolina in the dark of April 3, 1952. Kennedy told 7 News she has so many questions that have been left unanswered. The Richland County Cold Case Squad was formed to provide closure to family members of those who have been murdered and hold offenders accountable for what they have done.